Can I Sell Decorated Cakes From My Home?

Looking to get into the decorated cakes business? You may be wondering if you can sell your cakes from home. The answer is yes – you can sell decorated cakes from your home, but there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Follow these tips and you’ll be on your way to success!

Checkout this video:


So, you love to bake, you’ve got a knack for it, and people have been asking you to bake cakes for their special occasions. You’ve even gotten pretty good at decorating them. Now you’re thinking maybe you could turn your cake baking and decorating hobby into a business. You might be wondering if you can legally sell decorated cakes from your home.

The answer is maybe. It depends on where you live and what laws and regulations are in place in your state or municipality. Some states have laws that allow people to sell certain types of baked goods from their homes without having to obtain a food license, while other states have more stringent laws that require all home-based food businesses to obtain a license.

If you’re planning on selling decorated cakes from your home, the best thing to do is research the laws in your area to see what is required. Once you know what the requirements are, you can make sure you are in compliance with them and avoid any legal trouble down the road.

What You Need to Know

If you’re thinking about starting a business selling decorated cakes from your home, there are a few things you should know. First, check with your local zoning office to see if home-based businesses are allowed in your area. You may need to get a special permit or variance.

Next, find out what kinds of home baking businesses are already operating in your community. You don’t want to start a business that’s too similar to one that’s already established. If there’s already a lot of competition, you’ll need to set yourself apart with better customer service, unique products, or lower prices.

Finally, research the regulations governing food businesses in your state or province. You’ll need to get a food handler’s license and follow other food safety regulations. Depending on where you live, you may also need to register your business and get special liability insurance for selling food products.

The Law

Decorating cakes is considered a form of art, and as such, there are laws in place to protect the artist from having their work copied without permission or compensation. The main law that covers decorated cakes is the Copyright Act of 1976, which gives the creator of an original work the exclusive right to reproduce, distribute, perform, display, or license that work. This means that if you create a unique design for a cake, you have the legal right to control how that design is used.

There are a few exceptions to this law. One exception is if the cake is considered a “useful article” – an object with a practical function – like a wedding cake. In this case, the decorations on the cake can be protected under trademark law instead of copyright law. Another exception is if the decorations on the cake are considered “processes” – meaning they can be replicated using a set of instructions – in which case they can be patented instead of copyrighted.

If you are selling cakes decorated with your own designs from your home, you will need to register your copyrights with the US Copyright Office in order to have legal protection for your work. Once your copyrights are registered, you will be able to file lawsuits and seek damages if someone infringes on your rights. You can also put a “©” notice on your cakes to let potential infringers know that your designs are protected by copyright law.

Tax Implications

If you are thinking about starting a home-based business making and selling decorated cakes, there are a few things you should know about the tax implications.

For starters, you will need to obtain a business license from your city or county. In most cases, this will involve paying a small fee and completing a short application. Once you have your business license, you will need to register your business with the IRS for tax purposes.

Next, you will need to decide how you are going to structure your business. The most common choices for cake businesses are sole proprietorships, partnerships, and limited liability companies (LLCs). Each option has different tax implications, so it is important to choose the right one for your business.

If you structure your business as a sole proprietorship, you will be responsible for paying taxes on all of the income that your business earns. This includes both federal and state taxes. You will also be responsible for paying self-employment taxes, which are Social Security and Medicare taxes that are normally paid by employers.

If you structure your business as a partnership, each partner will be responsible for paying taxes on their share of the partnership’s income. There is no self-employment tax on partnership income.

If you structure your business as an LLC, the LLC itself will not be taxed on its income. Instead, the LLC’s owners (known as “members”) will each pay taxes on their share of the LLC’s income. As with partnerships, there is no self-employment tax on LLC income.

Once you have decided how to structure your business and obtained all of the necessary licenses and registrations, you can start selling decorated cakes! Just remember to keep good records of your income and expenses so that you can properly file your taxes at the end of the year.


Most people who are in the business of baking and decorating cakes will need to have some kind of insurance in place. This is because there is always the potential for something to go wrong, and if you are selling your cakes to people then you need to be protected in case anything happens.

There are a few different things that you need to think about when it comes to getting insurance for your cake business. The first is whether or not you need public liability insurance. This kind of insurance will protect you if someone is injured while they are on your property, or if they become ill after eating one of your cakes.

The second thing to think about is whether or not you need product liability insurance. This will cover you if there is something wrong with the cake itself, such as if it contains nuts and someone has an allergic reaction, or if it contains alcohol and someone becomes intoxicated after eating it.

The last thing to think about is whether or not you need employer’s liability insurance. This is only relevant if you have employees, but it will protect you in case they are injured while working for you.

You should also make sure that you have a good business continuity plan in place in case something happens and you are unable to bake and decorate cakes for a period of time. This could include things like having an emergency fund to cover the cost of ingredients, or having alternative suppliers lined up so that you can still get hold of everything that you need.

Health and Safety

Because of health and safety concerns, you may not be able to sell decorated cakes from your home kitchen. Health departments typically have strict regulations about food preparation and storage, and they may not allow you to prepare or sell food from your home unless you have a commercial kitchen. Even if you do have a commercial kitchen, your local health department may still have restrictions on the preparation and sale of decorated cakes. To be sure, you will need to check with your local health department to see what regulations apply in your area.


To sell cakes from your home, you’ll need to make sure your premises comply with state and local regulations. In most areas, this will mean obtaining a permit and passing a health inspection.


You will need some specialized equipment in order to sell decorated cakes from your home, such as:
-A cake turntable: This is a must-have for anyone who wants to decorate cakes professionally. It makes it much easier to add frosting and decorations evenly.
-A cake leveler: This is a tool that helps you to create level cakes, which are crucial for creating professional-looking results.
-Decorating tips and piping bags: You will need these in order to pipe frosting and other decorations onto your cakes.
-Fondant tools: If you want to be able to create fondant decorations, you will need some specialized tools, such as cutters and molders.


You will need to label your cakes with the following information:
-Your business name
-The product name or a brief description of the contents
-List of ingredients (in order of greatest to least quantity)
-Allergens – is the product made with nuts, eggs, dairy, etc.?
-The date the product was made
-The date the product expires
-Net weight
-Storage instructions


There are some general advertising guidelines that apply to all businesses, including those selling decorated cakes from home. First, you should be aware of any local ordinances that regulate signage and other forms of advertising. You will also want to make sure that your advertising is truthful and not misleading in any way. Finally, you should be careful about making any claims about the health benefits of your products.

With regard to signage, you should make sure that it is legible and does not obstruct views or public areas. You will also want to make sure that it complies with any size or placement restrictions that may be in place.

When it comes to other forms of advertising, such as flyers or online ads, you will want to make sure that the information you include is accurate and not misleading. You should also avoid making any claims about the health benefits of your products unless you have scientific evidence to back them up.

Scroll to Top