Wondering how to add a touch of green to your home décor? Check out our latest blog post for tips on how to decorate with plants!
Checkout this video:
Why Decorate with Plants?
Plants are not only a great way to add color and life to your home, but they can also help improve the quality of your indoor air. According to the EPA, houseplants can remove up to 87% of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) from the air in just 24 hours. They can also help increase humidity, which is beneficial for both your skin and your respiratory system.
Not sure where to start? Here are a few tips on how to decorate with plants in your home:
1. Choose the right plant for the right spot. Not all plants thrive in direct sunlight, so be sure to do your research before you buy.
2. Consider both the size and shape of the plant when choosing a pot or planter. A large, leafy plant will need more space than a smaller, more compact one.
3. Think about how often you’ll need to water your plants before you purchase them. Plants that require frequent watering will need to be placed in an easily accessible spot.
Where to Place Plants in Your Home
In general, there are a few things to keep in mind when deciding where to place plants in your home:
-Make sure the plant has enough light. Most plants need some direct sunlight every day, so if you’re placing it in a room that doesn’t get much natural light, you might need to supplement with a grow light.
-Think about the temperature of the room. Some plants like it hot, while others prefer it cool.
-Be aware of drafts. Placing a plant near a window or door where it will be subject to drafts can damage its leaves.
-Consider the humidity of the room. Some plants need a humid environment to thrive, while others prefer it dry.
-Pick a spot with good drainage. Most plants don’t like sitting in water, so make sure the spot you’ve chosen has good drainage or that you have a pot with a drainage hole.
How to Care for Your Plants
Plants can brighten up any room in your home and add a touch of nature. But before you go out and buy a bunch of plants, there are a few things you should know about how to care for them.
First, you need to choose the right plants for the light conditions in your home. Some plants need full sun, while others can tolerate low light. Be sure to research the plant species you are interested in to find out what their light requirements are.
Once you have found the right plants for your home, you need to make sure they have enough water. Allow the soil to dry out somewhat between waterings, but don’t let the plants get too dry or they will start to wilt. Depending on the plant species, you may also need to fertilize your plants periodically.
Lastly, be sure to dust your plants occasionally to remove any build-up of dust or pollen that could impede their growth. With a little bit of care, your plants will thrive and add beauty and life to your home.
What Plants are Best for Your Home?
Indoor plants are becoming increasingly popular as people seek to bring a touch of nature into their homes. But with so many different types of plants to choose from, it can be difficult to know which ones will thrive in your home and which ones will wither away.Here are a few things to consider when choosing plants for your home:
– Light: How much light does your home get? If you have a lot of windows and bright, natural light, you can get away with more delicate plants that need less sun. But if your home is on the shady side, stick to hearty plants that can survive in low light conditions.
– Water: How often do you want to water your plants? If you’re the forgetful type, choose drought-resistant plants that don’t need to be watered too often. If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, opt for plants that require more frequent watering.
– Care: How much time are you willing to spend caring for your plants? Some plants need very little care beyond the occasional watering, while others require regular trimming and fertilizing. Consider how much time and effort you’re willing to put into taking care of your plants before making a purchase.
With these things in mind, here are a few different types of plants that would do well in most homes:
– Snake plant: A hardy plant that does well in both low light and high light conditions, snake plants are relatively low-maintenance and only need to be watered every few weeks.
– Spider plant: Another plant that’s tolerant of both low light and high light, spider plants are fast growers and can become overgrown if not trimmed regularly. They also produce small baby spider plants (called “spiderettes”) on long stems, which can be propagated easily in water.
– Aloe vera: A succulent plant that stores water in its leaves, aloe vera is very drought-tolerant and only needs to be watered every few weeks. The gel inside its leaves is also said to have healing properties and can be used topically on cuts and burns.
How to Decorate with Plants on a Budget
If you love the idea of decorating your home with plants but don’t want to spend a lot of money, there are plenty of ways to do it on a budget. Here are some tips:
1. Shop at discount stores or online: You can often find great deals on plants if you shop at stores like TJ Maxx, Ross, or online sites like Amazon.
2. Get creative with planters: Don’t feel like you have to buy expensive pots or planters for your plants. Get creative and use things like mason jars, coffee cans, or even old shoes as planters. Just make sure they have drainage holes in the bottom.
3. Buy plants that are easy to care for: If you’re not confident in your plant-care abilities, it’s best to stick with low-maintenance varieties that are difficult to kill. Some good options include succulents, cacti, snake plants, and philodendrons.
How to Decorate with Plants if You Have Allergies
If you’re one of the millions of Americans who suffer from allergies, you might think that decorating your home with plants is out of the question. But there are plenty of options for stylish, allergy-friendly plants that will not only add beauty to your home but also help purify the air.
Here are a few tips for choosing the right plants for your home:
– Stick to non-flowering plants. Flowers are often the biggest culprit when it comes to allergies, so steer clear of them when choosing plants for your home. Instead, opt for non-flowering options like ferns, palms, and succulents.
– Choose plants that don’t produce a lot of pollen. Some plant varieties are known for producing large amounts of pollen, which can be a problem if you’re allergic to it. To avoid this, choose low-pollen options like bamboo, orchids, and snake plants.
– Go for air-purifying plants. Not only are they good for your health, but air-purifying plants also help remove allergens from the air in your home. Some great options include spider plants, peace lilies, and Boston ferns.
With these tips in mind, you can easily find beautiful and allergy-friendly plants to add to your home decorating scheme.
How to Decorate with Plants if You Have Pets
If you have pets, you might be wondering how to decorate with plants without putting your furry friends in danger. The good news is that there are plenty of pet-friendly plant options to choose from. Here are a few tips for choosing the right plants for your home:
– Avoid plants that are toxic to pets. Some common examples include lilies, aloe vera, and sago palms. For a complete list of toxic and non-toxic plants, check out the ASPCA website.
– Choose plants that are low-maintenance. Pets can be playful (or curious) creatures, so it’s best to avoid delicate plants that are easily damaged. Succulents and cacti are a great option because they don’t require much watering or sunlight.
– Consider the size of your pet. If you have a small dog or cat, avoid large plants that could topple over if knocked into. similarly, if you have a large pet, make sure the plant you choose is big enough to withstand some rough handling!
How to Decorate with Plants if You Live in an Apartment
If you live in an apartment, chances are you don’t have a lot of green space. But that doesn’t mean you can’t fill your home with plants! Here are a few tips on how to decorate with plants in your apartment:
#1 Choose the right plants
The first step is to choose the right plants. Not all plants will do well in an apartment, so it’s important to select ones that will thrive in your indoor environment. Some good options include snake plants, spider plants, and philodendrons.
#2 Put them in the right spot
Once you’ve selected your plants, it’s important to place them in the right spot. Make sure they have enough light and aren’t too close to any heat sources (like a radiator). Also, keep an eye on the soil – if it starts to dry out, give your plant a drink!
#3 Get creative with containers
One of the best things about decorating with plants is that there are no rules. So get creative with your containers! Use anything from mason jars to vases to old coffee pots – anything that will hold a plant and fit your style.
Finally, don’t forget to accessorize! Add some personality to your plants by using fun pots or interesting containers. And don’t be afraid to experiment – you can always change things up if you don’t like how they look.
How to Decorate with Plants if You Have Kids
Decorating with plants can be a great way to add some life and color to your home, but if you have kids, you need to be careful about which plants you choose. Some plants are poisonous if ingested, and others can cause skin irritation.
Here are some tips for choosing plants that are safe for homes with children:
1. Choose NON-POISONOUS plants. There are many beautiful plants that are non-toxic, so there’s no need to take chances with potentially dangerous ones.
2. Avoid plants with SPINES or SHARP EDGES. These can be painful if your child brushed up against them or fell on them.
3. Select hypoallergenic varieties. If you or your child has allergies, choose plants that are unlikely to trigger symptoms.
4. Look for EASY-TO-CARE-FOR PLANTS. These will be less work for you and won’t be as much of a temptation for kids to play with (and possibly damage).
How to Get Started Decorating with Plants
Decorating with plants is a great way to add life and personality to your home. Plants can brighten up any space and make it feel more inviting. If you’re new to decorating with plants, here are a few tips to get you started.
Choose the right plants. Not all plants are suitable for every room in your house. Consider the amount of light and temperature in each space before selecting a plant. Some plants also require more maintenance than others, so be sure to choose something that you’re willing to care for.
Pick the right size pot. The pot you select should be proportional to the size of the plant and the size of the room. A small plant in a large pot will look out of place, while a large plant in a small pot will look overcrowded.
Think about placement. When deciding where to put your plants, consider traffic patterns and furniture arrangements. You don’t want people accidentally knocking over your plants, and you don’t want them blocking walkways or obscuring views.
Add some personality. There are endless ways to personalize your plants and make them unique to your space. Use colorful pots, add decorative elements like rocks or shells, or hang plants from the ceiling or walls. Be creative and have fun!