Get into the holiday spirit by making your own Christmas decorations! This blog post will show you how to make some simple, yet festive, decorations for your home.
Checkout this video:
How to make a Christmas wreath
A Christmas wreath is a popular way to decorate your home for the holidays. You can purchase a ready-made wreath at a store, or you can make your own. Making your own wreath is a fun project that you can do with your family or friends.
To make a Christmas wreath, you will need:
-A wire wreath frame
-Green floral wire
-Fresh greenery (such as holly, pine, or cedar)
-Plastic or real berries
1. Start by wrapping the green floral wire around the wire wreath frame. This will help to secure the greenery to the frame.
2. Cut pieces of greenery from the stem, using scissors or wire cutters. The pieces should be about 6 inches long.
3. Attach the greenery to the frame by wrapping the green wire around the stems of the greenery. Continue until the entire frame is covered with greenery.
4. Add berries for decoration, if desired. You can use real berries or plastic berries.
5. Finish by tying a ribbon around the wreath
How to make a garland
A garland is a great way to decorate your home for Christmas. You can make a garland out of just about anything, from string and beads to ribbon and pinecones. Garlands can be hung on walls, mantels, doorways, or staircases. They are also easy to make!
Here is a quick and easy tutorial on how to make a garland out of ribbon:
You will need:
-Ribbon (any color or pattern)
-Christmast lights (optional)
1. Measure the length of your chosen area. Cut the ribbon to this length, plus an extra 20 inches. This will give you enough ribbon to tie the garland in place and also create some loops for hanging ornaments.
2. Make a loop at one end of the ribbon and secure it with tape. This will be the top loop of your garland.
3. Continue making loops with the ribbon, each one about six inches long. Make sure that the loops are all facing in the same direction. You can make them as tight or as loose as you like.
4. Once you have made all of your loops, secure the end of the ribbon with tape. Again, this will be a loop that you can use to hang the garland up.
5. If you are using lights, thread them through the garland now. Hang your garland up and enjoy!
How to make a Advent calendar
Advent calendars are a great way to count down the days until Christmas.
You will need:
-Ruler or a plate
-Double sided tape or stapler
-24 small presents or sweets
1.Cut a semi circle out of the top of your cardboard, this will be the hanger for your Advent calendar.
2.Using your ruler or plate, mark out 24 equal sections on your cardboard and cut them out.
3.Take one piece of paper and fold it in half lengthways, then in half again. Draw a simple Christmas scene on the folded paper such as a snowman, reindeer or Santa Claus. Cut this scene out. Do this 23 more times so that you have 24 decorated pieces of paper.
4.Put double sided tape or staples along the top edge of each piece of paper, then attach them to the back of each section on your Advent calendar. Ensure that the Tape/staples are facing inwards so that they aren’t visible from the front.
5 innings put your presents or sweets in each section and hang up your Advent calendar!
How to make a gingerbread house
What you need:
-1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
-1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
-1/4 cup dark molasses
-2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
-1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
-2 large egg whites, at room temperature -1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar -1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice -Gel food coloring, as desired (optional) Equipment: -Piping bags and tips -Toothpicks or wooden skewers -Gel food coloring For the gingerbread house: 1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. With mixer on low speed, add molasses and egg; mix until well combined. 2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. With mixer on low speed, gradually add to butter mixture; mix until dough comes together. 3. Divide dough into 3 pieces. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap; flatten into disks. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days). 4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. 5
How to make a nativity scene
Nativity scenes are a popular way to decorate for Christmas, and they can be made from a variety of materials. One of the most traditional ways to make a nativity scene is with straw, which was often used in medieval times. Today, you can find straw nativity scenes made out of paper or even plastic.
If you want to make your own nativity scene, you will need to gather some supplies. For the manger, you will need straw, hay, or some other type of bedding material. You will also need figures of Mary, Joseph, the baby Jesus, the shepherds, the three wise men, and the animals. These can be made out of paper mache, plaster of Paris, wood, or even fabric. Once you have all of your supplies, you can start putting your nativity scene together.
If you are using paper mache or plaster of Paris figures, you will need to build up the basic shape of each figure first. Once the figures are dry, you can start adding details like facial features and clothing. Wood and fabric figures will usually come with these details already added.
Next, you will need to create the manger for the baby Jesus. This can be made out of straw, hay, paper, or wood. Once you have the manger ready, you can start adding the figures one by one. Start with Mary and Joseph and then add the baby Jesus. Next add the shepherds and finally the three wise men. Once all of the figures are in place, your nativity scene is complete!
How to make a Christmas tree
To make a Christmas tree, you will need the following materials:
First, saw the bottom of the tree trunk at an angle. This will be the tree’s stand. Next, use the drill to make a hole in the center of the stand.String the lights through this hole. Now, take the string of lights and wrap it around the trunk of the tree. Nail small pieces of wood to secure the lights in place if necessary. Finally, decorate your tree with ornaments and garland!
How to make a Advent wreath
Advent wreaths are traditionally made from evergreens and symbolize the continuous cycle of life. The circular shape of the wreath also represents God’s infinite love. To make your own Advent wreath at home, you will need:
-A 12-inch (30 cm) grapevine or artificial evergreen wreath
-4 candles (1 purple, 1 pink, 2 white)
-Ribbons or other decorations (optional)
1. Start by adding any evergreen branches to the wreath for fullness.
2. Place the candles in the wreath, spacing them evenly around the circle.
3. Decorate the wreath with ribbons or other festive touches, if desired.
4. Hang the wreath on a door or wall in your home and enjoy the beauty of this special holiday decoration!
How to make a Christmas card
Making your own Christmas cards is a great way to save money and show your friends and family how much you care. Get into the holiday spirit with these easy, homemade Christmas cards.
You will need:
-Paper trimmer or scissors
-Bone folder (optional)
-Step 1: Gather your materials. You will need cardstock, a paper trimmer or scissors, a ruler, a pencil, a bone folder (optional), and adhesive.
Step 2: Cut your cardstock. Using a paper trimmer or scissors, cut your cardstock to the desired size. For this project, we cut our cardstock to 8.5”x5.5”, which is standard A2 size.
Step 3: Score and fold your cardstock. With your ruler and pencil, score a line in the middle of your cardstock at 4.25”. This will be the centerfold of your card.Use a bone folder to crease the centerfold (this step is optional). Step 4: Decorate your card! Now that your card base is ready, it’s time to get creative and decorate it however you’d like! We stamped ours with snowflakes and used washi tape for an added pop of color, but you can use whatever materials you have on hand. Get creative!
Step 5: Add a personal message. Don’t forget to add a personal message inside your card before giving it to someone special this holiday season!
How to make a snowman
What you will need:
1. Begin by rolling a large snowball for the bottom section of your snowman. It should be about the size of a beach ball.
2. Create a smaller snowball and place it on top of the first one. This will be the middle section of your snowman.
3. Make an even smaller snowball for the head of your snowman. Once you have all three balls stacked on top of each other, use your shovel to pack the snow around the sides, so that they stay in place.
4. Once you have your snowman’s body built, it’s time to give him a face! Use the carrot for his nose, and the buttons for his eyes and mouth. You can also use pipe cleaners for his arms, if you’d like.
5. Once you have everything in place, step back and admire your handiwork!
How to make a reindeer
This guide will show you how to make a reindeer decoration for your home. You will need some brown card, a pair of scissors, some glue, and some crayons or felt tips.
1.Cut a rectangle of brown card. This will be the body of the reindeer.
2.Fold the rectangle in half lengthways and then cut along the fold to make two long strips of card.
3.Unfold the strips of card and then fold each one in half lengthways again. Cut along the folds to make four even narrower strips of card.
4.Take two of the strips and glue them together at one end to form a V shape. This will be the head and antlers of the reindeer.
5.Glue the other two strips together at one end to form a second V shape. This will be the legs of the reindeer.
6.Stand the head and legs upright and glue them onto the body so that they are sticking out at either side like arms and legs.
7.Decorate your reindeer however you like! You could add eyes, a nose, and a mouth with crayons or felt tips, or you could glue on some buttons or sequins for a sparkling finish